Understanding symptoms of a sympathetic pregnancy.
Why Does Couvades Happen?
The reasons couvades occurs in men is not really understood but many theories exist including:
- a physical expression of anxiety over the birth
- sympathy / empathy with your partner
- a form of pretend sibling rivalry where your partner becomes the sibling you want to outdo
- a method of bonding with the developing baby
- an assertion of paternity
- outward appearances of ambivalence towards fatherhood.
According to the experts, the best way to deal with Couvades is to accept that it really does exist and that it is simply basic human reaction to the pregnancy. The next thing is to try and understand why you are reacting in the way you are.