Some common sense tips to save your back.
Common sense to save your back:
- Become aware of how you sit.
- If you spend a lot of the time on the phone, make sure you swap the telephone from side to side.
- If you are sitting in front of a computer, position yourself so that you are square-on and not twisted at an angle.
- Become aware of how you stand and try to avoid thrusting your stomach out in front as this places undue pressure on your lower back.
- Avoid wearing high heels for long periods of time as these place strain on the lower back.
- Alternate shoes during the day and from day to day.
- From the midpoint of pregnancy spend as much time as possible with your feet up.
- If standing for long periods of time, keep your feet at hip width and square on.
- When picking up heavy objects, always bend your knees. This is particularly relevant during pregnancy to avoid placing strain on the pelvic floor muscles and womb.
- Yoga, pilates, massage, acupressure and acupuncture will help maintain good posture.
- If you already have toddlers, encourage hem to stand on a chair before you pick them up.
- Divide heavy loads into smaller ones.