A perfect chook or a succulant rib eye of beef. These recipes are too good not to try
A Perfect Roast Chook
With less time and more short cuts in the kitchen, the age-old recipe for a perfect roast chicken is for many a forgotten art. This is a slow cooking meal to be enjoyed on a relaxed Sunday with family and friends. Trust me, this is superb!
1.6 kg free-range chicken
1 lemon halved
2-3 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 small handfuls of fresh herbs (rosemary, basil, marjoram, parsley) finely chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C an hour and a quarter before dinner.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry. Rub the cavity with salt, then rub chicken vigorously inside and out with lemon. Stuff the chicken cavity with lemon half, fresh herbs, olive oil and smashed garlic.
- Put chicken in large baking tray and place in the centre of the oven. After 20 minutes turn chicken over. Now is the time to add any vegetables you want roasted, potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips, onions, carrots or beets.
- After a further 20 minutes, turn chicken breast side-up, and smear over with juices. Roast for another 20 minutes.
- Serve steaming hot.
- Sit down and enjoy a perfectly cooked chicken. You’ll love it.
Serves 4 easily.
Rib Eye With Caramelised Onions
This succulent, rib roast of beef is too good not to try. As always, the best way to ensure the dish is done justice is to buy from the best butcher possible and pay for quality.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 kg small onions, peeled
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 beef rib eyes on bone, well aged
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 garlic clove, smashed.
- Heat olive oil and butter in heavy-based frypan.
- Add onions and toss well. Sprinkle with sugar and cook until golden brown, sweet and soft.
- Rub beef with a little cracked pepper.
- Heat a little olive oil and smashed garlic in heavy-based frypan and sear beef on either side for a couple of minutes until perfect brown.
- Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes at 190°C.
- Remove and serve with perfect mash and lightly steamed greens.